Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Magic? Uh,...No

In preface to what my next blog post will be, I want to say just a few things. There are a bunch of discussions and lectures going around our nation about the power of positive thinking. Even more so, books are preaching it and people are getting paid to travel the country and speak to masses of folks about it.  But it is seeming to take on another face that is looking a bit frustrating to me.  What "gets me" are the Christians (some well-known pastors/teachers/authors or even just the very influential people of our local church families) who are preaching this message of positive thinking being a powerful force...a cosmic force...separate from God's power. These Christians aren't basing their understanding of the necessity of positive thinking on the entirety of the Holy Bible, but just on little portions here and there.  They are getting most of their "material" from a conjured up method formed from outside sources who are not surrendered to the authority of Christ. How do I know they are not surrendered to Christ's authority without ever meeting them face to face? I know because I have read their thesis statements and some book reviews about their works and these authors/speakers are not basing their entire power of positive thinking stance on the full message given in God's Word; personal and un-biblical theories are being twisted into the mix to "spice things up".

Positive thinking is something that I have embraced since I was a young girl. I like to look on the bright side of life. It is a very important discipline to have in our daily life.  Even in his letter to the Philippians, the Apostle Paul writes to them to be careful what they think of each day. He even gives them a list of things to think on as a way to help the people (and all Christians, for that matter) to know where to center our minds. That list is in Philippians 4:8. But if you look at that list, each thing listed is something that seems to be hard to find most days. But the one thing...the one person who is all of those things continually is Jesus Christ. Our Lord God is good and right all the time.

Just because the Bible teaches us to be people who rejoice always, show gratitude often, love everyone, hope always, doesn't mean we Christians get that right all the time. For me, it's clear, if you know me at all or have read several of my blog posts here, that I am not always a positive thinker. I know that God commands me to think on things that are of God, but I am not always obedient. Duh! We all make mistakes. And just to add this in: Jesus Christ came to earth, lived a SINLESS life and died for OUR sins because God loved us SO MUCH. God knows we can't keep it right all the time. He knows we need a Savior. And I am SO grateful for Jesus! So, this trending topic of the power of positive thinking is getting a bit out of control when folks are beginning to speak about the power as a real force----not just a cause and effect anymore. It's being spoke of as a way to connect with the "Universe" and the cosmos and get the things we need and want....like a magical attitude....spell recipe or whatever you want to call it. haha!  

After reading....rather skimming some of the popular articles and books that are out on the bookshelves talking about this, I am seeing that people are thinking that positive thinking can actually, magically, alter their circumstances.  If that is not what the books are teaching then, the editor of their book should have chosen better words for their descriptions. Seriously.

Positive thinking is a great thing and should be practiced regularly by all because it can dramatically change a person's situation for the better when implemented, but it is not a power.....in terms of power of a superhero.  And we, are not people who hold any power of our own. SO, positive thinking isn't some magical thing on it's own. Ever.

There is the possibility that I may "ruffle some feathers", but I believe God's Word is the Truth and is Holy. I believe that everything else should be looked at through the filter of God's Word. Okay, now you can read my personal stance on this topic that I had already written in the next blog post.  Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment